Friday, December 2, 2016

Your Missing Half

The mazal of the month of Kislev is a keshet.

Bilvavi.net:

The holy kind of keshes (bow, rainbow)is when a person utilizes the power of bakashah (request; prayer) – also rooted in the word keshes. The Sages said, “Tefillah (prayer) does half.” When a person wants something, he is like a half-circle, like a bow - he knows he is not complete, he feels lacking somewhat, and he seeks completion. Thus, when he prays for what he lacks, his prayers accomplish the other “half” that he is missing.
Bakashah is when I realize that I only have half, and I am trying to get the other half. This is what lays behind the concept of tefillah. It is when I have the perspective that I am not remaining in the half that I have; I am hoping to have my other half filled. This is the holy kind of keshes: the power of bakashah, or tefillah.
This is how “keshes” results in “kishut” (adornment, or beautification), which is the good and holy use of keshes. Hashem designed all of Creation in a way that we are all lacking and insufficient, and we need to be completed by other “half” - the Creator. All created beings are incomplete and need to be completed by their other half, which is the Creator. The beauty of Creation, its kishut (beauty), is precisely when the many “halves” of this creation are completed by their other “half”....
The avodah in the month of Kislev, which is about the concept of keshes, is thus to realize that I am but a half, and that I must seek to be completed by my other half.
“There is no generation which does not have in it a righteous person like Moshe”[8] – thus, every Jew can attain a spark of Moshe Rabbeinu’s level, to be “mukash”, to equalize ourselves and align ourselves with our other “half”, Hashem – and in this way, we can merit some degree of Moshe’s level: “the Shechinah speaks from his throat.”

Good Shabbos! Good Chodesh!


No comments:

Post a Comment